Frame.io is the cloud collaboration tool for professional video teams -- everything you need to keep the creative process moving, all in a single workbench, accessible from anywhere. With Frame.io, you can securely upload, share, and review film projects, enabling your full operation to run at the speed of creativity.
Not every creative team, process, or software stack is exactly the same. That's where our Developer Platform comes in. The Frame.io Developer Platform allows you to handle common tasks using our API. Some popular use cases developers have used our API for include automatically adding existing files or folders to the Frame.io app, uploading new content, and managing teams.
- Python SDK: Frame.io offers an SDK in Python to make getting started with our API easier, including abstraction of key concepts like pagination and rate limiting. This project is available on PyPI, so
pip installand off you go!
- Python CLI: If you'd prefer to work from the command line FIOCTL is also available on PyPI.
If you want to get started right away, just click this button to bring our API into Postman!
Otherwise, read on. As a starting point, you'll need to ensure that you have a Frame.io account that you can sign in with.
To confirm that your token is working, go ahead and make a test call using a language, tool, or proxy of your choice:
curl --request GET \ --url https://api.frame.io/v2/me \ --header 'authorization: Bearer <DEV_TOKEN>'
In response, you should see your user information.
The majority of integrated workflows with Frame.io will focus on media Asset upload and retrieval. If you're planning on building a full application for release inside (or outside!) your organization, you may also want to consider building an OAuth2.0 application for distribution. These guides are the major building blocks you'll need to start your journey:
- Reading Directory Lists and File Trees All Assets live inside of Projects. This guide covers Project traversal, starting at the root folder.
- Uploading an Asset to Frame.io Now that you can navigate to a specific destination, you have everything you need to start uploading media.
- Building an OAuth2.0 Application Once you've got upload working, it's time to build an application that other people can use!
Frame.io's Developer Platform offers a few options you can use to extend your workflows into other tools, or to create whole new features:t
Webhooks provide a way to leverage events that occur inside of Frame.io into notifications that can be sent to external systems for processing, API callback, and workflow automation. We offer two ways to work with webhooks. You can build something yourself or you can use Zapier.
- Webhooks - Webhooks expose Frame.io events to external URLs for consumption and processing.
- Zapier - An online automation tool that allows you to connect over 1,000 common apps and tools without writing code.
We have a Webhooks Example App on Github that you can use as a starting point if you'd like to build your own receiver.
Custom Actions allow you to build integrations directly into Frame.io as programmable UI components. They're technically very similar to Webhooks, and are a great way to extend your Frame.io workflows.
If you're not sure about building right away, you can check out our Developer Forum on Spectrum.chat. Our community is full of developers, tinkerers, and creative professionals who have built, or are building awesome integrations using Frame.io's API combined with a variety of other workflow tools.